It’s A Stained Glass Window Glass Window Quilt

   What have I been doing? Lots of new quilts.

I mentioned in my last post, I would be catching you up on some of my newer art quilts. I don’t see any posts showing this one [it’s probably seven posts back], so here’s one I’ve finished and have already shipped to its new home.

Meeting so many nice people, a perk I didn’t anticipate.

This is a commission for one of my favorite customers. I’ve had so many really nice customers in the years I’ve been doing this. I’ve met some very nice  people.

I’ve had an opportunity to spend enough time working with some of my customers, particularly when working on commissions, that I’ve gotten to know them. That’s been a part of opening my business that I hadn’t anticipated, a very nice part.

An art quilt, Stained Glass Window


Now getting back to this particular art quilt, a stained glass window wall-hanging. it was a fun quilt to work on. I tried to make it look like a realistic stained glass window. The tricky part was to how could I create the illusion of light behind the panes, subtle, without it looking too obvious. I definitely didn’t want shafts of light shining down.
Stained Glass


The green milky colored “glass”  was designed to resemble the old type of stained glass which appeared more opaque. The color in this  glass didn’t appear perfectly uniform, there were a few darker streaks here & there. You can see examples of this sort of glass in some Tiffany lamps.

Let the experiments begin

Creating the translucent panes was what really had me stumped. So the experiments began! I wanted to create a subtle light, backlighting the window. I had firmly decided that I did not want beams of light streaming down. But how?

I tried many, many different “brilliant” ideas, some like this “genius” one, my favorite. I added  a bit of a clear acrylic glue to the paint as I mixed the color. My reasoning was that the glossy quality of the glue and the fact that it was clear might appear more like glass. Actually, I found that wasn’t  the case.

You may have already have thought of the biggest problem with this approach, I did not…at least not immediately. I began by taping the fabric onto a large piece of cardboard to paint. Then waited for the paint to dry.

As we are all aware, glue sticks things together. I can testify to the fact that it definitely sticks fabric to cardboard, FYI. In theory, it seemed like such a good idea. In reality peeling cardboard which has been glued to the back of a piece of fabric is just not worth all the trouble, toss that one.



There were small experimental fabric squares laying on every surface in my studio, experiments that went wrong. I may be a bit thick headed, but when I finally got it right, well I think I got it right. I’ll let you be the judge of that. Next post another of my newer art quilts.








Published by Barbara Harms Fiber Art

About Myself & My Approach Art has always played a role in my life, in one form or another. by my teens I had narrowed my focus to painting. I decided I was going to become a serious painter. I joined the Las Vegas Artist's Guild at 15, the youngest member at that time. I was completely out of place, I tried to go unnoticed, a mute fly on the wall, with a big smile pasted on my face. I've continued to paint most of my life. After a move to Oregon years later, I was introduced to quilting and fell in love. I was introduced to quilting & fell in love. In time I missed the creative freedom painting made possible. Then I discovered mixed media fiber art, I was home. MY APPROACH TO ART It's the creative process that holds the greatest attraction for me. Starting with a tiny seed of an idea; vague and blurred around the edges, I follow where that leads. There are often many changes and adjustments along the way. The result can often be surprizing. My approach is an instinctual one. Generally, I do little pre-planning. I make creative decisions, choices, directions as they present themselves. This approach can lead to quite a few changes in the direction. I love that element of surprize! Sometimes I have one that I especially like, I can't wait to show someone. At that moment l feel like a six year old, running home from school, a drawing in hand, excited to show Mom. At those times. I'm smiling like the Cheshire cat. I’ve had some of my work published in several magazines. which is exciting. But the most gratifying thing is having clients be really happy with their purchased art quilt. Word press Etsy shop-sales Contact: inquiry Personal Links

Barbara Harms Fiber Art

Decorate Your World!

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

The Scientific Triangle

A Creative Scientific Cocktail

Scottish Terrier Health Network

Making A Difference For Scottish Terriers


Astral Lucid Music - Philosophy On Life, The Universe And Everything... Apps

Apps for any screen

following the human thread

art quilting, patchwork, textile arts

Rhonda Pryor: studio journal

notes on creative ideas and personal studio practice


New ways ahead as an artist

To Create Sunshine

Nature 🍃 Gardens 🍃 Flowers 🍃 Wanderings

crazyworkingwomansblog's Blog

A topnotch site


Holdaz Gh

Sauce Box

Never get lost in the Sauce

Angelart Star

The beautiful picture of angels makes you happy.

Mirth and Motivation

Motivate. Elevate. Laugh and Live Positively!

Living Life in Mixed Media via Winifred Cottage and Sassa Lynne

%d bloggers like this: